United Kingdom, Germany
All kind of things and too many to list. As a graphic designer my main interest is described through the word ‘interpretation’.
- Art Direction
- Art Direction is the formulation of guidelines for the development of a specific creative product. The Art Director, as leader of a team comprised of various creative experts, makes decisions to achieve a product’s greatest possible potential.
- At the beginning of a design-author’s, there is no brief, rather, she/he initiates and independently implements his ideas. This initiative asserts his autonomy.
- Corporate Design
- Corporate design describes the compilation and definition of visual elements of a brand identity such as logo, typography, color and image concept, business layout and architecture.
- Editorial Design
- Editorial design is the conception and design of journals, newspapers, magazines, brochures, and books and is directly connected with the redactional work.
- Information Design
- Information design includes the intelligent visualization of scientific information through graphic or interactive elements. Complex data would be intermediated to the user through an accessible and useable method.
- Print spans the design of all printed objects.
- Web Design
- Web design is the conception, design, and structure of websites, the navigation, and the user guide. It addresses interface design from information offers and applications in the World Wide Web.
motivation for designing
Because I wasn’t a good enough musician. My goal now: To design things that have the impact just like a good song has.
learned to design
First and unconsciously by playing football and being in a band. Later by running a local magazine and working in a (crap) advertising agency for five years. After that by studying for six years. And after that by running my own design studio (for 15 years now) and also trying to teach (also for 15 years now). Did I really learn (yet) how to design? I am not sure. Design is just too big of a word.
year since working as
age of first design career thought
working at night per month
mostly at 09:00
read, think, walk, talk, ask, listen (also to music)
managing myself and trying to manage clients and students
1 1 1 1
teach, thinking about teaching, organising funding for teaching, organising talks, etc.
A mixture of research, intuition and trying out things. Motto: One step forward, two steps back and so on.
That I did not want to be a designer in the first place.
Table, chair, shelve and a view onto the vegetable garden (at least in one of the places I work from).
There is no such thing as an ideal designer.
He/she/it has a good product or service, is cooperative and friendly, trusts you to design something appropriate (which doesn’t mean nice) and pays similar fees as you would pay a good plumber or carpenter.
relationship with client
Sometimes so, sometimes lala.
getting along with salary
I cope well.
Like: friendly and smart. Dislike: unfriendly and stupid.