Mary Voorhees Meehan
I am a graphic designer. Sometimes I also say, “I am a graphic designer and artist.” I also just launched a store to provide a framework for making a non-commissioned way.
- Art Direction
- Art Direction is the formulation of guidelines for the development of a specific creative product. The Art Director, as leader of a team comprised of various creative experts, makes decisions to achieve a product’s greatest possible potential.
- Brand Strategy
- Through branding and brand strategy, products have the potential to not only increase in their performance and function, but to also enhance the worth which differentiates them from other products in complex markets. The goal is to attain the long term orientation, trust and identification of customers.
- Branding and Identity
- Branding and corporate Identity include the sum of all visual representations of a business. The image (corporate design), the verbal expressions, behavior, and manner among both the internal and external public orientate around the business’s values.
- Editorial Design
- Editorial design is the conception and design of journals, newspapers, magazines, brochures, and books and is directly connected with the redactional work.
- Exhibition Design
- Exhibition design (museography, scenography) includes the conception and design of exhibitions. It subordinates the exhibited objects, operates the background and makes their significance and goals for the viewer perceivable.
- Experience Design
- Experience design describes the design of all elements of a product, processes, services, events, and environments. It coordinates these elements, and makes it possible through the interaction the best possible user experience.
- Illustration could be identified as “writing with the help of images”. Illustrations develop through brainstorming, creative problem solving and a precise and evident visual implementation, which is diversely applicable and can be portrayed through various mediums.
- Print spans the design of all printed objects.
- Packaging Design
- Packaging Design, which next to their advertising and informational function also provides a protective and logistical function.
- Product Design
- Product design maintains the goal to improve the functional, interactive, and formal/aesthetic qualities of industrial product producers.
- Web Design
- Web design is the conception, design, and structure of websites, the navigation, and the user guide. It addresses interface design from information offers and applications in the World Wide Web.
motivation for designing
I enjoy the process. I like the interplay between language and form, the new meanings that emerge. I’d say a goal would be to reach people, to provide new lenses through which they might interpret their world. To make things fresh and funny. To be human.
learned to design
Well, when I was 19 or 20, I decided to become an architect. I was in college at Princeton at the time. After working in the field a few years post college, I realized practicing architecture was not for me. I had already applied to graduate programs, but jumped ship at the last moment and made an impulsive decision to go to Yale to pursue an MFA in graphic design. I have always made things. My bedroom growing up was an ever evolving installation. I collected. I painted. I wrote. I drew. Art was my favorite subject in school. It’s hard to say where or how I learned. It’s been a life-long process.
year since working as
age of first design career thought
working at night per month
1 1 1 1 1
Usually I begin with a series of really rough doodles on paper. I decide on a few directions to pursue and then go digital. Working in Indesign or illustrator, I create a first round of sketches to show a client.
My primary influences are probably things I read. The New Yorker is my favorite publication.
A wooden desk with a white magnetic wall behind it – I try to keep the desk clear, the wall manic.
Smart, scrappy, articulate, friendly, organized.
Smart, open minded, articulate, friendly, organized.
relationship with client
It varies per client.
getting along with salary
It is difficult to cope.
I like when clients provide feedback and content on schedule and in an organized way. I do not like when clients prescribe specific changes rather than articulating what they perceive to be a design’s shortcomings.